This episode of the Information Security Podcast features a keynote from the Information Security Summit 2019 by Grant Asplund @gasplund from Check Point Software @CheckPointSW “Migrating to the Public Cloud...so, What’s the Big Deal?”. The presentation is both enlightening and entertaining while examining the many factors an organization should consider when migrating to the Public Cloud.
Key Discussion Points and Actionable Items:
- Parallels between the Mainframe in the past and the Public Cloud today
- Recognition that knowledge from the past of operating and securing On Premise environments don’t directly translate to the Public Cloud
- Importance of an organization asking the basic question “Am I using the Public Cloud securely?”
- The paradigm shift when having an “always connected resource” that must be managed 7x24x365 and the demands it places on IT and Security Teams
- The requirement to “re-tool” the solutions supporting an organization in the Public Cloud especially when using technologies such as Kubernetes and microservices
- Benefits of leveraging the Public Cloud when designed, implemented, and operated properly.
Special Notice to our Faithful Listeners:
The Information Security Podcast will be transitioning to a monthly schedule following this episode.
Thank you for all your support and check back with us in about a month.
ASMGi (@ASMGi_CLE) and https://www.asmgi.com/
Briteskies (@NoBrownCow) and https://www.briteskies.com/
Recorded and Production By:
Evergreen Podcasts (@StreamEvergreen) at https://evergreenpodcasts.com/ and production assistance provided by Frank Yako (@fyako).
Additional Information and Resources:
For additional information on the Information Security Summit, please visit us on the web at https://www.informationsecuritysummit.org/ or on Twitter (@InfoSecurSummit). Planning is underway for the Summit 2020 scheduled for October 26 through October 30, 2020, please join us!
If you enjoyed Grant’s keynote, check out Grant’s podcast, Talking Cloud, featuring interviews regarding secure migration strategies to the public cloud.