You have to grow older, but you don't have to grow up...
We're Generation X'ers who spent our childhood immersed in the music, movies, games, and pop culture of the 70s, 80s, & 90s, and all that stuff shaped who we are today as adults. GenXGrownUp looks at yesterday and today through the eyes of Gen X'ers who refuse to grow up.
Backtrack: Playing Outside
One, two, three…. NOT IT! How many times have you started an exhausting game of tag with those words? In this week’s GenXGrownUp Backtrack we remember playing outside. Sometimes because we wanted to and sometimes because our parents banned us from the house! We talk about playing in the dirt, playing alone and other uses we found for “unstructured” time.
- The death of Recess » thebestschools.org/magazine/death-of-recess/
- Is playing in the dirt a good thing? » bit.ly/2NcM5r0
- Army men on Amazon » amzn.to/2n0TZ8I
- Biking freedom » www.grcycling.com/stories/cycling-sense-freedom/
- MLB Kids » mlb.mlb.com/mlb/kids/index.jsp
- Best basketball courts in NYC » cbsloc.al/2M1i5Kg
- Kickball leagues » www.kickball.com/kickball
- The basics of stickball » www.streetplay.com/stickball/introduction.shtml
- Skelzies (It’s real!) » itshotlinks.com/games/skelzie.php
- Tag the movie » www.tagthemovie.com/
- Twists on hide and seek » www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/23/13
- What is Manhunt? » www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=manhunt
- How to play kick the can » www.wikihow.com/Play-Kick-the-Can
- Why playing alone is good for kids » bit.ly/2HcpWHa