For many years I've been reading about the work UK retailer Timpson does to hire ex-offenders and other marginalised groups. What they do is a win win win situation. It's a win for the ex-offenders who get a job, it's a win for society as employment is a crucial part of breaking the re-offending cycle, and it's a win for Timpson as they get access to a large talent pool.
Now more than ever, employers need to be challenging traditional policies and beliefs to think differently about hiring. With that in mind, I'm absolutely delighted to welcome Darren Burns, Timpson's National Recruitment Manager and Head of The Timpson foundation, to the show. As well as running Timpson's own ex-offender hiring initiatives, Darren also advisors other companies looking to do the same, and he has some unique experience and advice to share
In the interview, we discuss:
- The work of The Timpson Foundation
- Timpson's motivations behind recruiting ex-offenders
- Breaking the re-offending cycle
- Working with prisons in the recruiting process
- The benefits of employing ex-offenders
- Advice to other employers
- Accelerator prisons and prison reform
Listen to this podcast in Apple Podcasts.