DE&I remains a major priority for employers, but progress is slow and sometimes completely stuck. So how should companies be thinking about diversity, and what practical actions can they take to build and benefit from teams of difference?
My guest this week is writer, broadcaster and consultant Simon Fanshawe. Simon is a well known figure in the UK and has recently published an excellent book, "The Power of Difference". He advocates that progress comes when employers move away from the jargon around DE&I and genuinely understand how building a diverse workforce will drive their specific business objectives.
In the interview, we discuss:
- The human question of diversity and what does it actually mean.
- The power of combining difference
- The dangers of conformity and the imposition of rules
- Building teams of difference
- Using data to understand what is happening and why
- Understanding specific diversity business cases
- The virtuous circle of selection
- Is unconscious bias training actually helpful?
- Redesigning the recruiting process to challenge assumptions
- The most accurate predictor of future success
- Making employee resource groups more effective
Listen to this podcast on Apple Podcasts.
A full transcription will appear here shortly.