Ep 496: Challenging A Narrow Definition Of Talent
I always find it encouraging to see many employers focusing on social mobility to diversify their workforces. However, much more needs doing, and some seismic shifts are required to broaden the narrow definition of talent many industries use to recruit.
My guest this week is Phoebe Anderson, Executive Director at ATLAS Fellows. ATLAS is a not-for-profit organization with the goal of transforming the finance industry by opening doors for under-resourced young people to access life-changing careers. Phoebe advocates for changing entrenched recruiting practices and challenging the narrow definition of talent endemic in the finance industry.
In the interview, we discuss:
- Why a zip code shouldn't dictate a life trajectory
- Breaking down barriers
- The importance of engaging with High School students
- Scholarship, internship, mentorship, and membership
- What employers need to do to be more inclusive
- Changing the narrow definition of talent
- Skills and knowledge are teachable.
- ATLAS' advice to employers and their plans for the future.
SeekOut is a single platform for talent acquisition and talent management. Hire, grow, and keep great talent with SeekOut.
Namely is the all-in-one HR solution that empowers you to dynamically engage and develop your people in a beautiful, intuitive platform.
Hear More From Us!
Subscribe Today and get the newest Evergreen content delivered straight to your inbox!