Ep 264: Design Thinking
Contact: [email protected]
Despite years of discussion and many excellent initiatives to attempt to fix the issue, recruiting still has an experience problem. As talent acquisition leaders around the world re-evaluate their strategies moving forward, incorporating design principles into the reimagining of experiences, services and processes is something that will bring considerable competitive advantage.
My guest this week is best selling author and speaker, Scott Berkun. I've been a fan of Scott’s work for a really long time and his new book "How Design Makes The World" is a fantastic introduction to design principles and thinking. It was great to hear Scott talk about the book and also share his thoughts on fixing the recruiting experience problem.
In the interview, we discuss:
• What makes something well designed and why it is essential not to take things at face value
• Thinking the actual problem you want to solve
• Design thinking versus design doing
• Design principles in organisational and service design
• The mismatch between candidate wants, and recruiter wants
• Applying design knowledge to solve recruiting's service design issues
• Scott’s favourite story from the book and how it illustrates the hidden forces that often sit behind design choices