Ep 362: STEM Returners
I'm publishing this episode the week of Women in Engineering Day. Skill shortages in STEM professions continue to be a big problem for many employers, and diversity is also a significant issue. However, research shows that there is a diverse and highly qualified workforce of STEM professionals who are currently struggling to return to work after a career break. So why is this the case, and what should talent acquisition professionals do to address the situation?
My guest this week is Natalie Desty, Founder and Director of STEM Returners. STEM Returners is a programme to help employers recruit, develop and retain the best available talent, and to enable highly qualified and experienced candidates to re-start their careers. Natalie has some excellent insights and advice to share.
In the interview, we discuss:
▪ Why Natalie started STEM Returners
▪ The underrepresentation of women in engineering
▪ The STEM Returners Index
▪ Insurmountable barriers facing returners
▪ Why the recruiting process isn't working
▪ Conscious and unconscious bias
▪ Job adverts versus job specs
▪ Advice to talent acquisition